Article to reduce illegal parking on george street

This article came out as we are trying to combat illegal parking on George street with comment from me, Cllr Eliot Weir, Cllr @walkersteve and Patrick Reynolds (formerly in the board of Waka Kotahi).

Here is the online version (subscription);

2 Likes

Still happening (note the no parking signs):

Interesting they have added actual “no parking” signs. Its clearer at least, but not sure adding more signs will fix the issue.

@Elliot @walkersteve

Yep very frustrating!

1 Like

I suspect it’s a requirement related to being able to issue parking fines.

2 Likes

Is still happening with zero enforcement at the mo (Saturday night):

Thanks Nathan. We have been pushing council to get this fixed. This article in the odt came out on Tuesday;

And I got a response from council. They mentioned; “A report will also be going to Council on 31 July, which if approved by Council, will also support efforts to increase enforcement.”

We really need enforcement to happen in the evenings and in the weekend. Hopefully we will see some improvements soon.

Im also pushing for bollards but that seemed to be a hard bargain.

1 Like

Progress!

Its great to finally see some results. Im still quite hesistant, but enforcement will be geared up this month, so hopefully we see reduced illegal parking.

And do report it to council, even if its an email the next day. This really helps them and will give them an idea when illegal parking is happening so they can increase enforcement.

And thanks to some wonderful councillors here in Dunedin. :innocent:

1 Like